It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: when timing an engine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:49 am 

I wonder if it being a bigger stock motor matters?? My experiences were with 36-40 horse motors.. Brandons 40 horse ran like a dog with the 009..

"If it ain't Rubbin, it ain't Dubbin"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:58 am 

OLEYELLER wrote:
with the 009 try 35deg. BTDC @ 3000 -3500RPM. I have an 009 with a stock motor, I don't seem to have much, if any lag.

this is doable for a few reasons and not suggested for others..

mainly-- if I read your car type right you have a 73 thing? which has a great transmission with higher gears and dual port motor.. this will aid your driving under 3-3.5k rpms and thus making timing your 009 a little
higher no real issue.. infact a lot of motors can take timing but some depending on compression and other factors actually get better performance and MPG with it retarded a bit..

early cars with early tranmissions trying to keep up with todays highway speeds and faster paced driving habits to much timing is not good for long term life in these motors..

also the higher the timing the higher the octane you should run to keep from pinging (preigniting) if you here
you motor do this (usually under a load-and timing is to advanced for the situation) you can back the timing
off just a bit to get it to go away.. but Octane and carbon build in the head will also play a role in performance and how you should tune your motor..

Just my take on things.. Sorry to keep acting like I know what I'm talking about ;) Ethan thought me everthing I know :mrgreen: I mean I should say :help: w:pw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:04 am 

oval1 wrote:
I wonder if it being a bigger stock motor matters?? My experiences were with 36-40 horse motors.. Brandons 40 horse ran like a dog with the 009..

I have yet to see a 40hp like a 009 - they came with a bosch big cap .. and they love them..

on a 40hp use a 30pict1 and 1.1:1 rockers hop that little sucker up! :)

Actually my CPE built 40HP (1385) big bore with 30pict1 bosch big cap ran smooth and killed it on the hills in AUSTIN -- I also ran my MSD6AL and a blaster2 coil on it !! schweet!! and it loved it!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:37 am 

tommiebsmith wrote:
oval1 wrote:

I have yet to see a 40hp like a 009 - they came with a bosch big cap .. and they love them..

on a 40hp use a 30pict1 and 1.1:1 rockers hop that little sucker up! :)

Actually my CPE built 40HP (1385) big bore with 30pict1 bosch big cap ran smooth and killed it on the hills in AUSTIN -- I also ran my MSD6AL and a blaster2 coil on it !! schweet!! and it loved it!!

Hmm, that's cool.

"If it ain't Rubbin, it ain't Dubbin"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:05 am 

tommiebsmith wrote:
OLEYELLER wrote:
with the 009 try 35deg. BTDC @ 3000 -3500RPM. I have an 009 with a stock motor, I don't seem to have much, if any lag.

this is doable for a few reasons and not suggested for others..

mainly-- if I read your car type right you have a 73 thing? which has a great transmission with higher gears and dual port motor.. this will aid your driving under 3-3.5k rpms and thus making timing your 009 a little
higher no real issue.. infact a lot of motors can take timing but some depending on compression and other factors actually get better performance and MPG with it retarded a bit..

early cars with early tranmissions trying to keep up with todays highway speeds and faster paced driving habits to much timing is not good for long term life in these motors..

also the higher the timing the higher the octane you should run to keep from pinging (preigniting) if you here
you motor do this (usually under a load-and timing is to advanced for the situation) you can back the timing
off just a bit to get it to go away.. but Octane and carbon build in the head will also play a role in performance and how you should tune your motor..

Just my take on things.. Sorry to keep acting like I know what I'm talking about ;) Ethan thought me everthing I know :mrgreen: I mean I should say :help: w:pw

Good to know, thanks!