It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Loss of power.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:25 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

When it starts doing it, shut the engine off immediately and coast to the side of the road. Pull the top off a carb and check your fuel level. Assuming you know where it should normally be, you'll be able to tell if its running out of fuel.

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:17 pm 

It mostly seems to do it when it comes off of the idle circuit and at higher RPMs, like around 3k

It would help if I could find my Dellorto handbook... I can't find it since we moved.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:11 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

I assume you already checked your fuel filter(s)?
Sounds like maybe its time to swap out the fuel pump, maybe its trying to die on you....

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:57 pm 

Yeah, fuel filters were first. Maybe tomorrow night I can swap out the pump and get it timed properly. Anyone in Houston have a timing light I could use for a bit?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:12 pm 
dLk Redneck

I do but I am not sure how far away from you I am.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:17 pm 

I have one ... it's old school (go figure) no tach but I'm all the way to Louetta and Stuebner Airline

http://mapq.st/1bq3aph

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:13 am 

Ok, yeah it takes about 45 min, give or take, for me to get over there. Most of you guys seem to live on the northwest side of town. I am in Atascocita.

I think I actually have an old light somewhere in the garage. I'll have to do some more digging. I'll let you guys know if I end up needing it or not. Thanks again guys.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:33 am 

Chisel_86 wrote:
Ok, yeah it takes about 45 min, give or take, for me to get over there. Most of you guys seem to live on the northwest side of town. I am in Atascocita.

I think I actually have an old light somewhere in the garage. I'll have to do some more digging. I'll let you guys know if I end up needing it or not. Thanks again guys.

Old ones are fine.. I use them all the time.. time it max advance.. while idleing watch what it is doing.. it should hold steady.. then start to give it a little gas.. it should start to advance.. you can see this by the strobe on the pulley.. should hold steady as you rev it up.. until it gets to max advance at what ever RPM that takes to do so..

I say this because (not really your issues) but a guy just came by the house to have me check out his low idle popping.. and super poor acceleration.. first thing I checked was linakge and sync.. then I went to check on timing and sure enough it was the culprit.. I showed how his BRAND NEW 009 was hanging until hit about 2500 RPMS then it let loose ...he had no advance and so it was around 10degrees BTDC for the whole bottom end.. then it ran well.. well.. better :) ..on the TOP END... we switched his guts with a spare dist. I had.. and all was awesome..

Again.. not that this is your issue.. I just think while you have the light on it.. it takes two seconds to just see how the system is functioning..

also... I have found if at idle or light throttle if you are watching the pulley with the light.. it reads.. TDC TDC TDC BDC TDC TDC TDC BDC .. or such.. seems to scatter on the read.. that usually means CAP and ROTOR are not happy.. Even on Brand New tuneups.. I've seen it..

more Just sharing INFO.. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:45 pm 

Thanks a lot Tommie. I haven't been able to do that just yet, but what I've decided to do is to replace all the braided fuel lines with modern lines and put my new German rotary pump in. Hopefully that will help, if anything prevent any trouble down the road.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:59 pm 

Still not running right... I've done just about everything, new coil, dizzy, fuel lines, pump... I'm going to try to get over to Ryan's this week and he said I could use his light to make sure the timing is right and the advance is working. I wasn't having much luck with my old timing light. The flash tube might be busted. It's a pretty old one from Penske/Sears-Roebuck :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next