It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Remote Oil Cooling with a Stock Cooler?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:24 am 

With the addition of my IDAs, the bolt-on install has been nothing close to that at all. I am having to trim my cylinder tins a little more for the bigger manifolds amongst other odds and ends. I figured this would be a good time to add my fuel pressure regulator as well which is when I discovered just how little real estate I have back behind the shroud. So Im looking at switching from a doghouse to a nondoghouse style 36hp shroud to give myself a little more room. I really wasn't reaping the benefits of a doghouse setup anyways, because my firewall doesn't allow for the necessary clearance to install the elbow tin on the back of the shroud, as well as the exiting air piece through the fire wall. I have an external oil cooler w/ a fan on the way soon from a friend; my question is this: Would it hurt to run the stock oil cooler inside the shroud along with the external cooler setup? Or should I just stick with the external only? I know off the bat that pulling the shroud without the stock oil cooler would be a cinch, but I don't want to cut corners either. Also, should I stick with an OEM 36hp shroud that uses a smaller narrow fan? or an aftermarket 36hp shroud that utilizes the wider fans? Lastly, I have a remote filter setup already. Would it be better to run the lines to the remote cooler through the filter setup or to utilize an oil cooler adapter on the top of the case for my out/in to the remote cooler? Any help is wanted and appreciated! Wanna get this thing back on the road. :D OR!! Should I just stick with the stock cooler in the shroud and leave the remote setup for another time, or if deemed necessary? My car didn't have any overheating problems with the doghouse setup missing the elbow and air exit tins! :nono:

Post subject: Re: Remote Oil Cooling with a Stock Cooler?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:02 am 

yea don't do the internal oil cooler non-doghouse.. if removing the doghouse.. just get the in/out piece that goes where the oil cooler and run the remote oil cooler off that..

I see a few people running full filter -cooler-setups off the oil pump and returning at the the full flow inlet on the case..
and then just a flat pass through oil cooler block off.. similar to what you'd get with that porsche style shroud setup..

you should get like a scat non doghouse shroud as they are going to be thicker than the stock and allow you use the fan you have now..
if you go stock 36 you have to change fan along with cylinder tins.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:19 am 

Got it, which oil in/out would u recommend? There are so many out there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:22 am 

I am running an external cooler in-line with a filter. The lines are tapped into the case at the oil galley. (I also have the stock doghouse cooler in place.) There's also a thermostat that will bypass the cooler until it's warmed up, but it's always running through the filter. I would think it would be easier to run it that way if you are already going to have an external filter setup (unless its just the spin-on oil pump cover type). I think you're going to want the thicker fan, but I don't know if they make a thick fan, non-doghouse. Maybe they do...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:37 am 

Chisel_86 wrote:
I am running an external cooler in-line with a filter. The lines are tapped into the case at the oil galley. (I also have the stock doghouse cooler in place.) There's also a thermostat that will bypass the cooler until it's warmed up, but it's always running through the filter. I would think it would be easier to run it that way if you are already going to have an external filter setup (unless its just the spin-on oil pump cover type). I think you're going to want the thicker fan, but I don't know if they make a thick fan, non-doghouse. Maybe they do...

yeah, as Tommie said, I believe the aftermarket 36 hp nondoghouse shrouds are made for the bigger fans. And my case is full-flowed with my remote filter plumbed to the driver's side rear fender. I was thinking it would be less work and less hose to run the lines that way through the firewall versus coming off of the filter and stretching a long line that way. I don't know, I'll have to look at it. Also found this product that allows you to retain the stock oil cooler. Still say no and get rid of the stock one?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=913502

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 am 

murray7010 wrote:
yeah, as Tommie said, I believe the aftermarket 36 hp nondoghouse shrouds are made for the bigger fans. And my case is full-flowed with my remote filter plumbed to the driver's side rear fender. I was thinking it would be less work and less hose to run the lines that way through the firewall versus coming off of the filter and stretching a long line that way. I don't know, I'll have to look at it. Also found this product that allows you to retain the stock oil cooler. Still say no and get rid of the stock one?

Yeah, thats where my filter is too. Where are you planning to put the cooler? Depending on the location, it might give you a shorter overall line if you add it to the filter line instead of adding an entire new line. I'm not certain so you'd have to look at it, as you were planning to do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:34 am 

Chisel_86 wrote:
murray7010 wrote:

Yeah, thats where my filter is too. Where are you planning to put the cooler? Depending on the location, it might give you a shorter overall line if you add it to the filter line instead of adding an entire new line. I'm not certain so you'd have to look at it, as you were planning to do.

I wanna put it whereever is optimum for cooling. I was assuming somewhere under the rear package tray.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:15 pm 
The Ukrainian

I put mine under the package tray. I don't run a thermostat on mine, just a switch I flip when oil gets to about 180 degrees or so. I'd like to add an additional small cooler with a scoop that would force air through the cooler at highway speeds.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:54 pm 

How are they normally mounted under the tray? Sheet metal screws? Do people hang them down with standoff brackets? I've never really seen pics of an install even though I know many people but them there. (FYI, mine doesn't have a fan.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:15 pm 

Yeah i wish they sold a kit or something doe mounting these things. My external is a oul cooler with a fan.