It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cleaning a trans
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:03 pm 
dLk Iron Chef

I was given a '67 trans. Its missing the spider gears, but I have a set. The trans seems to have been cleaned with a pressue washer at one point and never completly drained. I was going to fill it with a quart of mineral spirits and give it a good rinsing and a drying in the sun before installing it. Any other suggestions or things I need to look at?

Post subject: Re: Cleaning a trans
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:56 am 
Dlicious wrote:
I was given a '67 trans. Its missing the spider gears, but I have a set. The trans seems to have been cleaned with a pressue washer at one point and never completly drained. I was going to fill it with a quart of mineral spirits and give it a good rinsing and a drying in the sun before installing it. Any other suggestions or things I need to look at?

Not sure about the interior of the trans., but RyanW can give you a good play-by-play on how to clean years of caked on, oil, trans. fluid and East Texas iron ore soil!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:10 am 
dLk Iron Chef

Chris P wrote:
Dlicious wrote:

Not sure about the interior of the trans., but RyanW can give you a good play-by-play on how to clean years of caked on, oil, trans. fluid and East Texas iron ore soil!

It sucks cleaning the outside for sure! Paint scrapers and wire brushes......its a mess that goes from the trans to the garage! I never use power tools, it just slings it everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:32 am 

Agreed on the no power tools..

I too use scrapers and tooth brushes along with a wide pan and mineral spirits seems to work just as good as any thing..

I'm no Pro at all when it comes to Transmissions but it would seem to me .. that taking the 3 17mm bolts out maybe even the reverse actuator out after sloshin around a few pints of mineral spirits to drain it all couldn't hurt any more than the water that is already been setting in there..
Spin the shaft with the spirits in there to help get things moving around..

Also maybe plan on filling it with fluid and driving it on a few longer trips to get every thing hot a loosened up drain and refill.. Just as an added - precaution..