It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bumper Bracket Straigtening
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:59 am 
I am looking into picking up some bumper brackets and the PO says they need a little work (i.e. little straightening and blasting)

Has anybody had good results straightening bumper brackets to 'like new' or is it that you can only get them as good as possible but never really close to perfect. I know metal can be beaten into submission, but with bumper brackets being made of stacked, flat metal, I didn't know if the plates would separate or never really straighten.

Post subject: Re: Bumper Bracket Straigtening
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:12 pm 

post a pic of the damage, only then can we give suggestions. there could be alot of different ways to fix something depending on how it's damaged. Of course, a part as simple as a bumper bracket is usually easier to replace than fix. Hell, I have a pair of fronts that have been sittin' around forever. Not sure if there's a difference between fronts and backs. What year? Bug?

Post subject: Re: Bumper Bracket Straigtening
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:20 am 
manobilt wrote:
post a pic of the damage, only then can we give suggestions. there could be alot of different ways to fix something depending on how it's damaged. Of course, a part as simple as a bumper bracket is usually easier to replace than fix. Hell, I have a pair of fronts that have been sittin' around forever. Not sure if there's a difference between fronts and backs. What year? Bug?

The bumper brackets are for my Ghia and unfortunately, the Bug and Ghia brackets are not interchangeable. I am attempting to buy some brackets from a guy on The Samba who says he has "Ghia bumper brackets coming out of his ears" and that they need some work. I haven't seen them yet to see what condition they are in.