It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Removing Old Paint and primer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:45 pm 
dLk Iron Chef

69vduber wrote:
After the paint is removed via chemicals or sanding ... What would be the best primer to use until you can get it to a professional paint shop? Also sanding the primer , what is the best grade and practice... ???

I'm Hijacking this thread.....

I am in the process of removing the paint on the '60. The top layer is flaking off in most spots and its 4 layers deep on the rest of the car. I did like Doug did and used a "metal primer" to keep the metal from flash rusting. Main ingredient is phosphoric acid, converts the rust etc etc... Alot of my paint dust is getting "stuck" on the film left by this metal prep. I'm not happy with this and feel in the long run it is going to cause me more prep work when it comes time for paint. So I want to eliminate this process and apply primer as I get a section done. So the big question: What type of primer should I use being a home enthusiast(Read: Fucking Amature!) I'm used to rattle cans. Does anybody make a product in a rattle can that is any good? Or should I buy a primer gun and a line dryer and go that route?

Post subject: Re: Removing Old Paint and primer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:57 pm 
dLk Redneck

Dlicious wrote:
69vduber wrote:
After the paint is removed via chemicals or sanding ... What would be the best primer to use until you can get it to a professional paint shop? Also sanding the primer , what is the best grade and practice... ???

I'm Hijacking this thread.....

I am in the process of removing the paint on the '60. The top layer is flaking off in most spots and its 4 layers deep on the rest of the car. I did like Doug did and used a "metal primer" to keep the metal from flash rusting. Main ingredient is phosphoric acid, converts the rust etc etc... Alot of my paint dust is getting "stuck" on the film left by this metal prep. I'm not happy with this and feel in the long run it is going to cause me more prep work when it comes time for paint. So I want to eliminate this process and apply primer as I get a section done. So the big question: What type of primer should I use being a home enthusiast(Read: Fucking Amature!) I'm used to rattle cans. Does anybody make a product in a rattle can that is any good? Or should I buy a primer gun and a line dryer and go that route?

Id use a cheap airless hvlp gun and some ppg 2k epoxy primer. I have had first hand experience using that and it was easy to apply using the airless hvlp gun. I have a few links saved where guys have painted their whole car with an airless hvlp gun. turned out nice.

Post subject: Re: Removing Old Paint
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:05 pm 

This was from Eric as a PM .. read bottom up...

Epoxy primer is a 2 part mix, sprayed from a paint gun with a 1.5 to 1.7 tip. If you are wanting a pro. job later, do not use any 1 part, or spray can products. They are all substandard, and not compatible with todays 2 part systems. They will have to be stripped off before good products are applied.

Here's a link to a good on-line store for paint products.http://www.tcpglobal.com/hokpaint/hokpr ... aspx#KP2CF
Always get a tech sheet with whatever product you buy, it will include all the instructions for use.
Good luck,
Eric

Sent at: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:43 pm

View message

69vduber
Message subject: Re: Sanding and primerFolder: Unknown folder
Thanks,, I would like to do allot my self but most likely have a professional do the paint and I want to do the proper prep as best as possible... On the Epoxy primer is that mix with a sprayer or is it also in spray cans?

Sent at: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:47 pm

View message

EAnderson
Message subject: Re: Sanding and primerFolder: Unknown folder
It's always better to go to metal when redoing a cars paint. Unless you just want a quick job that is cheap. I would use an epoxy primer like PPG has call DP40 with the DP401 catalyst. Make sure the metal is clean and free of contaminates. Clean it with DX330 from PPG. If the metal is rusty I would ethch it with Ospho & a scotch brite, then after it's dry, scuff it with a dry red scotch brite, clean with the DX330. Then apply epoxy primer.

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:22 pm 
dLk Iron Chef

So what equipment do I need to buy in order to spray? A pressure regulator? Line Drier? What type of gun? Do the spec sheets tell you what psi to spray at? Or would it be better just to keep up with the Jasco metal etch and sand that off later and use a paint booth when I'm done? Hell, I'm almost done with the outside...might as well just put the jasco on.

The next Question: Eric stated in that PM that it is best to go to bare metal on a repaint, is that necessary if I sand the areas of original paint, like under the hood etc, that never received 5 coats of paint? Can't I just give those areas a good sanding and cleaning then prime? I would like the car to be one color, but realistically those areas will be covered with upolstery or rarely scene.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:29 pm 

As long as you get rid of any rust on the bottom... then yes it's OK to just sand the bottoms of the hood, etc. Make sure the outsides of the panels are stripped and clean, this is the most important part of having a finish that will hold up without problems. Harbor freight has cheap primer guns. Make sure to get a 1.7 set up. An in line air dryer is a must.

I think it's best to stick with the metal cleaner/coating then sand it for primer IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:39 pm 
dLk Iron Chef

Well I guess I will finish up with the metal etch/cleaner. I guess I have to sand that film off, or is there a chemical that will wipe it off? Laquer thinner?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:43 pm 

There's nothing fast and easy about prep work,lol. Use 180 or 220 grit on rough areas, and red scotch brite on all the rest before primer 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:56 pm 
dLk Iron Chef

EAnderson wrote:
There's nothing fast and easy about prep work,lol. Use 180 or 220 grit on rough areas, and red scotch brite on all the rest before primer 8-)

Will do. There is nothing fast and easy with good food too, Just turn the radio up and get it done I guess! Thanx for the advise....I'm sure I have a while to go before I'm ready for primer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:59 pm 

Yeah, little by little. Take it slow, it pays off in the long run 8-)