It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Paint jobs. When and how much?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:39 pm 

Here's the question. When do I want to paint my bug? I have a 68 bug. The engine is out. It needs a new interior including a headliner, new window moldings, weatherstripping, and one side of the pan has a bad looking patch but is otherwise soild. My thought and my plan since I bought the car last year was to get the motor in it, get it running, and then go back later and tear it down. I've been working toward that. Maybe there are other options but my idea of a proper paint job is giving the painter a basically empty shell. As I've been going through the brakes, rear axles, wiring, etc. it seems like I'm going to have to duplicate alot of work when I go back to tear it down again. Maybe it's not big deal but I'm starting to think I should just go ahead and strip it down. I have two other hangups doing that. 1. I have five year old twins who don't always appreciate and understand being gentle. We've got tons of bikes and toys in the garage so I'm worried I'd be a nut trying to keep them away from the car. That alone make me think I should wait?? 2. Does anyone have a estimated range on what I might spend on a paint job? I know that's a loaded question depending on how much prep or body work is needed. I also know paint jobs can range from cheap to show car quality. I'm building this car as a driver but I want it nice so I think I'd want a mid to mid/high range quality job.

If and when I decided to get it painted how do you go about getting a price? Will a body shop look it over and give a firm price? Do they typically work hourly? Until I get it back on the road I don't know how I'd get a meaningful estimate.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Paint jobs. When and how much?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:04 pm 
dLk Hill-Billy

A body shop should give a quote hey stick to. I would use the guy that painted my car their prices are great and the quality is even better.

Here's some info
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5207&hilit=CANEY+creek+paint

Ovals are Overrated.....Image
Third Coast Aircooled Parts

Düg Büg

dLk?

Founding Member of the Not A Volkswagen Truck Club.

Post subject: Re: Paint jobs. When and how much?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:33 pm 

Boom wrote:
A body shop should give a quote hey stick to. I would use the guy that painted my car their prices are great and the quality is even better.

Here's some info
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5207&hilit=CANEY+creek+paint

x2 ..

I suggest taking it down to a shell. get a estimate based on that. That is if your wanting to change color and get a good cover. Get some plastic storage boxes and ziplock baggies. Take lots of pictures and bag your parts. Clean as you go and refurbish. Then when paint is done start putting it back together. Also the body off will enable you to fix that pan etc.

just my 2 cents. Also get a Bentley or some kind of vw book.

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof