It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wiring
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:26 pm 

Does anyone know how to wire up a VW? That's the only thing we are lacking on our VW to get the rest of it together. It's not your typical VW Harness. It's a Chevy Harness made for VW's. They say it's painless. It's like your pulling your hair out trying to find where the wires go.

2nd item down after you click the link
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/vw.html

Post subject: Re: Wiring
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:19 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

busdude05 wrote:
Does anyone know how to wire up a VW? That's the only thing we are lacking on our VW to get the rest of it together. It's not your typical VW Harness. It's a Chevy Harness made for VW's. They say it's painless. It's like your pulling your hair out trying to find where the wires go.

2nd item down after you click the link
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/vw.html

Eric (EAnderson) wired up his square back like a Chevy, maybe he will have some tips :)

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:09 pm 

I can take a look at it. I had a friend help me with mine, I was pulling my hair out at first trying to figure it all out. We started with the main power wires at the battery to the fuse box unswitched. Then power to ignition switch, power to the switched fuse block. Power to the starter B+. Ignition to starter from the ign.switch. Power to the coil B+. We used a battery on/off swithch for a main power kill. The next thing I remember was running the wires to the front and rear of the car from the fuse block for the headlights taillights turn signals. you'll have extra wires to each end for the emergency flashers. My car doesn't have them. Put power to the dimmer switch(swithched) and to the main headlight on off(unswitched), your diagram should show how this works low beam/high. This is when I got confused. All the gauges get switched power from the fuse block. Wire them like the instructions say. Emergency flashers are unswitched, the others are switched. Turn signals.... switched power to switch to flasher to front and rear wires. Well this is all I can think of to help, like I said be glad to look at it. I'm not a wiring pro.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:00 am 

EAnderson wrote:
I can take a look at it. I had a friend help me with mine, I was pulling my hair out at first trying to figure it all out. We started with the main power wires at the battery to the fuse box unswitched. Then power to ignition switch, power to the switched fuse block. Power to the starter B+. Ignition to starter from the ign.switch. Power to the coil B+. We used a battery on/off swithch for a main power kill. The next thing I remember was running the wires to the front and rear of the car from the fuse block for the headlights taillights turn signals. you'll have extra wires to each end for the emergency flashers. My car doesn't have them. Put power to the dimmer switch(swithched)from the main headlight on /off(unswitched), your diagram should show how this works low beam/high. This is when I got confused. All the gauges get switched power from the fuse block. Wire them like the instructions say. Emergency flashers are unswitched, the others are switched. Turn signals.... switched power to switch to flasher to front and rear wires. Well this is all I can think of to help, like I said be glad to look at it. I'm not a wiring pro.

Also I have a Chevy one-wire alternator, which eliminates alot of wires. All you need is one B+ wire to the alt. Old style charging systems have an external voltage regulator.