It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 1966 bug won't start... help!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:39 pm 

I have a 1966 Beetle that won't start. I've replaced the battery and the starter. Fuses are good. Anyone recommend a good VW mechanic in the Heights or any recommendations on what else to check?
Thanks,
Chris

Post subject: Re: 1966 bug won't start... help!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:50 pm 

Have you looked at the wires and connection from the switch to the starter? Make sure they are clean. What was the situation when it stopped working? And I guess stopped means light work horn works etc but no click? Do you know how to test the starter by shorting it ?0

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:22 pm 

69vduber wrote:
Have you looked at the wires and connection from the switch to the starter? Make sure they are clean. What was the situation when it stopped working? And I guess stopped means light work horn works etc but no click? Do you know how to test the starter by shorting it ?0

I don't know how to test the starter by shorting it. So the car sat for a few weeks and wouldn't start. The battery wouldn't hold a charge so I replaced it. That was about three weeks later. So now the car has sat almost 6+ weeks. Then with the new battery I heard constant spinning in the starter so I replaced the starter today. Lights and such work and the starter 'clicks' but won't turn. When we replaced the starter today and reconnected the battery the starter started up without the key even being in the ignition. Then, I disconnected the battery and tapped the starter with a rubber mallet assuming the silonoid was stuck. Upon reconnecting the battery it wouldn't start. We even tried push starting it but with no luck. What switch to the starter...?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:29 pm 

I would pull the starter and have the parts store test it. You may have had a low battery and then a stuck starter .. key switch is what I mean. key on and shorting the starter by connecting the hot to the solenoid using a wire or a screwdriver.. be sure brake is on and in neutral.

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:24 pm 
dLk Hill-Billy

If you tried push starting and no luck it sounds electrical. Check the voltage at the battery and then check at the fuse panel. Check at the starter and make sure you get the same as what was found at the battery. Checking the starter is easy but I doubt the parts house has the necessary housing needed to check properly.

Ovals are Overrated.....Image
Third Coast Aircooled Parts

Düg Büg

dLk?

Founding Member of the Not A Volkswagen Truck Club.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:48 pm 

sent you a PM, I'm in the heights and I can come take a look Tuesday after work

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:28 pm 

Erik G wrote:
sent you a PM, I'm in the heights and I can come take a look Tuesday after work

Thanks! I just replied.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:49 am 

ok, the starter issue was easy, the small wire for the starter was on the wrong spade terminal on the starter (I think aftermarket starters have an extra and I've seen this before) so the starter turns now. It had been sitting a little bit, but gas is getting through the filter, to the carb. It's good good compression. I think there are some electrical issues, it has a compufire, the cap and rotor were pretty bad, the coil wasn't getting hot and we did test that electricity is getting to the coil. I had Chris get a new cap and rotor, I'm thinking full tune up, valve adjust, spark plugs, cap and rotor, if that doesnt work try points (maybe the compufire went out) we are going to try again probably this weekend if anyone wants to come help.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:52 am 

Erik G wrote:
ok, the starter issue was easy, the small wire for the starter was on the wrong spade terminal on the starter (I think aftermarket starters have an extra and I've seen this before) so the starter turns now. It had been sitting a little bit, but gas is getting through the filter, to the carb. It's good good compression. I think there are some electrical issues, it has a compufire, the cap and rotor were pretty bad, the coil wasn't getting hot and we did test that electricity is getting to the coil. I had Chris get a new cap and rotor, I'm thinking full tune up, valve adjust, spark plugs, cap and rotor, if that doesnt work try points (maybe the compufire went out) we are going to try again probably this weekend if anyone wants to come help.

Thanks again Erik! Looking forward to getting her up and running... we're planning on Sunday. If anyone wants to join, I'll provide beer! PM me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:53 am 
Der Luft Doktor

Sounds like you guys are making some progress! :thumbs:

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering