It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: CB Performance Wide-5 Disk Brakes/Droped Spindles
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:13 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

Here's they are on CB's website: http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1140
I've had these on the car now for probably a year and a half or so and am very impressed. The kit was very complete and easy to put on the car. Only thing was having new king and link bushings installed in the spindles, which I had done professionally since I don't have the reamer and other tools necessary to do it right. Other than that, everything fit perfectly and looks great, very high quality stuff for a decent price. The only problem I had with them, which was no fault of CB's, was that when I first installed them I was still running a single-circuit master cylinder. Apparently, the rear rear wheel cylinders of drum brakes maintain some pressure in the system even when the brakes are not engaged (yes, they were adjusted properly), the net result being a lot of drag on the front disk brakes. Switching over to a dual circuit system immediately cured this problem, not to mention made my car much safer by virtue of having two independent braking systems. I would highly recommend upgrading to a dual circuit master cylinder regardless of whether you run disks or not, but absolutely it is necessary if switching to front disks. The main thing I noticed when upgrading to front disks was how much smoother the brakes were when stopping. No more of that pulsing from ever so slightly out of round drums. The other thing I noticed was much better modulation of the brakes. And of course they have way more stopping power, but on my car this is a bit of a moot point as I run 135's up front and they are the "weak link" in the brake chain. Eventually I want to upgrade the rear to wide-5 disks too, and then put a proportioning valve in the system so I can bias the rear a bit more since I have a lot more rubber back there (215's). The other advantage of this kit is the dropped spindles. I set my car a lot lower than it was when lowered with beam-only and it rides a lot better. The position of the wheel in the fenderwell is also more centered, rather than being pitched forward as when lowering with beam only. Overall I give the CB wide-5 disk kit an "A".

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering