It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wheel Balancing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:01 am 
dLk Redneck

I happened upon this thread and found it very interesting. So I figured I would share :thumbs:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

drscope wrote:
I often see posts on here from guys trying to find someplace that can balance the wide 5 wheels. Well I may have a different solution for you!

A little background - I have been involved with gravity racing for the last 5 years and have been looking for a better way to deal with trying to balance our wheels and tires. I think I found it.

A while back I came across a product called Dyna Beads. Dyna Beads are small ceramic beads which can be used inside the tire or even inside the tube.

I first had customers bringing me the Dyna Beads to put in their tires during mounting. Then I started buying them from a not so local motorcycle shop (lots of motorcycles use these things). Well they were either closed, or didn’t have what I needed in stock most of the time, so I ended up becoming a dealer for these things as well just so I would have them for my customers when they wanted them.

Last year I won 8 out of 10 races on our schedule. And in one of the races I lost, I was driving a different car then my own which by the way did win that race. So my car won 9 out of the 10 races we ran last year.

I decided to give these Dyna Beads a try in my race car. I was pretty skeptical going in. But in our first race this year, I was pretty amazed at the difference it made in the car.
I did finish second due to a mechanical failure, but the car which beat me was also running Dyna Beads for the first time.

These things really worked! The car was much smoother then it has been in the past. And while I don’t have a comparison time from previous years, the guy who beat me does and he was almost a full second quicker on this hill then he was the last time we ran it.

So the other day I went out and put them in the tires on my 55. The car is almost all original, neglected, worn out. So I wasn’t expecting to feel any difference especially since I had the wheels and tires mounted by the guy who does all my race tires for the big race cars.

But on our first drive, the wife asked what was different. She didn’t know I put the beads in, but she felt an improvement in the ride.

So anyway I figured I’d pass this information along so anybody thinking about getting their tires balanced could think about this as an alternative to a shop that doesn’t have an adapter to do the wide 5’s.

They can be put in while one bead is off the rim, or even through the valve stem pretty easily.

Almost any bike shop that caters to Honda Gold Wing riders and does tire service sells them. Or you can get them from me at;
http://www.alliedmotorsports.us/id57.html

These things work! You will need about 3 ounces per tire for stock size tires. Thats about $10, but they are reusable if you recover them when it's time for new tires.

Post subject: Re: Wheel Balancing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 pm 
dLk Hill-Billy

:thumbs:

Ovals are Overrated.....Image
Third Coast Aircooled Parts

Düg Büg

dLk?

Founding Member of the Not A Volkswagen Truck Club.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:40 am 

I know people who use airsoft pellets in their tires. They cost a lot less and work the same.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:19 am 

How does that help? Can't you hear them rollin' around??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50 am 

My dad is a Truck Driver.. 18wheeler long haul.. he always tells me they stick golf balls in the tires.. before inflating..

sounds cool!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:37 am 
dLk Iron Chef

I did this on the single cab. It does work. You can hear the pellets falling in the tire when you come to a stop. I don't really notice it and it isn't loud. I used air soft pellets from walmark.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:03 pm 
dLk Redneck

How did you know how many to put in?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:06 pm 
dLk Iron Chef

ConcreteAce wrote:
How did you know how many to put in?

I read somewhere how much.....I think it was on a porsh forum. Off the top of my head: 3oz each tire