It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 62 Ragtop Bug in Clear Lake
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:42 pm 

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=587096

Have you all seen this bug? Lori and I went there today and test drove it. Oddly enough we also test drove this bug a few years ago when it was for sale in Spring when it was not a Ragtop. We didn't buy it due to some issues. Well it still has the same issues plus some others. He'd come down to $5400, but we still find it needs a lot of work. He's a very nice guy that doesn't know VW's. I told him to keep it and fix it up and join one of these clubs. PM if you want the low down on this bug we went to look at today. Patrick

Post subject: Re: 62 Ragtop Bug in Clear Lake
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:11 am 
dLk Redneck

what were the issues it had? I thought about buying that car for Courtney before we found her car, Its been up for sale for at least 6 months now, the weird part is that he had it on there the longest for 6000 wonder why he went up on the price.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:14 am 

I couldnt get a few straight answers from the guy on the phone so I drove from Austin last weekend to see it. The paint on the car was OK but had alot of chips and flaws. The hood got stuck and the owner stuck a screw driver between the body and hood and messed it up real good. Lots of electrical issues. It drove ok. It looks like the ragtop was installed ok, but was missing some parts. The interrior smelled real bad like mold musky so it would need a complete interrior, the headliner was missing. Body looked like it was solid. The front end was lowered but the owner didnt know how. Said he tried to raise it by turning the adjustment bolt but it would not rise. So, I think the front end needs work. I just looked like it had been neglected for a long time. I offered him $4000 but he turned it down. Maybe it was low, but after you factor all the work it needs, thats what feel it was worth.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:19 pm 
dLk po-lease

if you guys are in the market the 63 i built a while back is for sale...6500....i sold it and the guy has driven it 3 times and its been in a wharehouse or a garage everysince....new interior, paint is in great shape and it has a stereo that will blast ya out of the car

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:25 pm 
dLk po-lease

easiest way is to call me 281 541 3189 and ill set you up with the guy who has it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:14 pm 

The car belonged to a police officer in Spring when we looked at it. We almost got hit so many times as the steering was bad.
I heard he paid $5400 for it I was told. Course the guy was asking $8k when we looked at it the first time. Something is wrong with the Transmission or something as we kept having issues when shifting down to 2nd we'd go into the reverse.
Interior wise it's not good. Not any in there right now. No headliner, dents in rear bumper, Rust and a panel that is loose under the right passengers front feet. No speakers for the radio in the glove box. Hard stop and you have the back seat and the rear speaker shelf in the front seat with you. Steering box is loose and well had issues. Rag top was done by the previous owner that didn't know anything about bugs. Front trunk was messed up and well had a crack in it from to many people using a screw driver to get it open. Also the front valance was messed up due to screw driver use. Once I heard it was the car we looked at a couple of years ago we weren't interested. Course we did take it for a test drive and it was a lot worse than when we took it for a ride back when. The bad was that it use to have a 2027cc motor in it. It was running hot. He took it to a shop and he traded off the motor for a 1600 stock motor and blocked off the heater tubes. When asked why he did that he responded he didn't know and I would have to talk to the mech. I know the mech so I asked him. he gave me a good detail on the car. $8k not. $5400k he said he'd take. I'd say about $2k to about $3500k maybe. ???

Mech said it needs a new front end. It's shot. The guy selling the car doesn't know anything about VW's. That was his first purchase.I hate to see people get taken like that. Now he has a car that he's stuck with. I told him to stick it on ebay, but be honest about it. He doesn't know how to fix anything minor on the car. He said he always wanted a rag top so he had the guy install it for him before he bought it. I would of just waited and bought one orig. Looks okay, but does have issues.