It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Heat Exchangers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:42 am 

The right-side heat exchanger control (Red knob) doesn't move at all in my 66 Beetle. Looking underneath, it appears that the cables are connected correctly. Assuming the cable(s) are working properly is it reasonable to assume the issue is with the control(s) on one or both heat exchangers? If the heat exchangers are solid without rust or holes, is there something that can be done with the heat exchanger(s) while they are still mounted on the engine to free up or do what ever may be needed to make the control work? Is this a common problem with heat exchangers or one of several possible fixes that you can't tell unless the heat exchanger(s) removed first?

The first step I would think would be to disconnect the cable from the heat exchanger first to make sure the cable is working.

A little background information: The engine was rebuilt about 2000 miles ago. Is there a possibility that during the engine re-assembly something was connected or not connected correctly to make the heat exchanger control not work?

Post subject: Re: Heat Exchangers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:54 am 

You have the right idea. Disconect the cable and make sure it moves from the controls. The heat exchanger could be frozen. Try opening by hand.

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof

Post subject: Re: Heat Exchangers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:48 am 
dLk po-lease

I would not disconnect them. I would just try and open by hand at the heat exchanger using a lot of liquid wrench or dw40.