It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: '66 912
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:38 pm 

well, at coffee and cars today, I saw three cars with the tires mentioned above. Kumho 165's. Firestone 165's and the Michelin 165's. Damn those are nice but I ended up buying the firestones. The MG owner that had them said he thinks they grip better than his friends Kumho's. $352 shipped from Summit, cheaper than buying them from Firestone or Coker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:31 pm 

another long post I wrote, submitted, and it disappeared. Sometimes this forum pisses me off...

anyways, got all the rear calipers apart, cleaned, lubed, rebuilt, painted, ready to go, and the new "OEM" Textar pads dont fit. 2mm too wide. I suppose I could have filed them down, but that doesnt seem right. Asked around, and sure enough, others have had the problem and told the suppllier, the same shop that I bought them from. Thanks.

Ordered some different ones, hopefully they get here this week. The shop emailed me back and are refunding me, so at least there is that, cause then I learn, the rears are the same pads as type 3 fronts. Doh! I could have bought some locally!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:41 am 

copied from the 912 board so if some of it doesnt make sense, my bad

Update after yet another long weekend in the garage

Got the Dellorto's installed after swapping to 30 vents from the 34's. installed the CB Performance 912 linkage arms that are supposed to pop into the stock 912 linkage. They don't. I had to carefully file down the ball ends, then clean them up with 300, 600, 1k and then 1.5k sandpaper. Frustrating when they should just fit. The bugpack dellorto to stock 912 manifold adapters are actually decent.

The linkage is not as smooth as I think it should be. I need to work on that, primarily what's going on behind the shroud. It works but just doesn't feel right

Also got the Firestone F560 165x15's mounted on the 15x4.5 fuchs. They look great

Unfortunately, I didn't get further than my driveway. The front right rebuilt caliper is leaking in between the halves. One pump and the brakes work, but that first pump there is nothing. I'll discuss with the vendor this week, I really wanted to drive it

Anyways, pics and a video if it uploads. Sometimes I'm blocked from youtube at work, but not always

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaqzQsJ2PKo[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:17 pm 
dLk Hill-Billy

I would be tempted to flip the plate over and run it that way.

Ovals are Overrated.....Image
Third Coast Aircooled Parts

Düg Büg

dLk?

Founding Member of the Not A Volkswagen Truck Club.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:35 pm 

Boom wrote:
I would be tempted to flip the plate over and run it that way.

NO

and NO

lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:01 pm 

Quick video from it's first real drive in years Saturday afternoon. In my opinion, it hasnt been driven in 6-10 years (click the pic, it will play in a new window)

BUT! No brake lights. I went to the switch, taped the wires together, no lights. So went back, took out the light bulbs, sand them down, sanded the connectors, sanded the ground terminals. That worked, I got lights. Plugged them back into the brake light swotch, no workie. Ordered a new switch from Parts Klassic, should be here thursday.

having issues with the throttle linkage too. It's not cable like vw, it's ball/cap rods like stock dual carb linkage, all the way from the pedal, through the tunnel over the shroud and to the throttle arms. PITA design.
Otherwise, I do need some adjusting of the carbs. it falls on it's face until about 2500 RPM's, then springs alive to about 5K.

It was nice to actually drive it around the neighborhood though. Even met up with some locals at a coffee shop in the neighborhood for our first ever monthly meet up on Sunday. One guy with a very nice race prepped '72 911. couple other nice nice cars as well

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:46 pm 
dLk Hill-Billy

Gonna make it to the Kemah/Daryl's bar cruise?

Düg Büg

dLk?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:03 pm 

I think so. I should get the brake light switch tomorrow or Friday. Weather should be perfect

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:49 am 
dLk Hill-Billy

Sweet.

Düg Büg

dLk?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:44 am 

ok, lots of work done since I last posted. Kinda burnt out working on it 2 full days every weekend, but it aint gonna fix itself.

I replaced the pedal cluster with a rebuilt one with all new bronze (instead of plastic) bushings. Seat out, carpet out, dove into the tunnel and replaced the accelerator rod bushings, and the rubber coupler piece. I really wish Porsche used cable instead of rod for the accelerator, but they dont, and there isnt any kind of retro kit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next