It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: '66 912
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:56 am 

(continued from last page)

Then I had a problem with the fuel pump. It worked, but when I changed my oil last, I know I got it right on the top line of the dipstick. Day after getting a full tank of gas, the engine was showing a qt extra oil. Sure enough, fuel pump leaking gas into the motor. Fuel pumps run $400-$500, so I found an old kit, and rebuilt it myself. Totally different than a regular VW pump...

I also had a pretty big exhaust leak as I'm sure most of you heard at Kemah. That requires a ton of engine tin to come off, but I got the header off, no holes so thats good. Pulled the passenger heater box off, it was the main culpret, compleately blown gasket. Replaced that one, the ones where the header bolts up to the heads, back with all the sheet metal, much much quieter. The passenger one has a tiny leak but it's livable for now

So got all that crap done, re-changed the oil, cleaned up the engine tins (powdercoated) so now it looks nice. I still have some popping just off idle that I need to figure out, and a pretty lumpy idle as well. 3K to 5K RPM's feels good.

I have to get the distributor looked at. I don't know if it's advancing correctly at the right RPM's. Then I gotta re-tune the carbs, work on the linkage some more, etc... Always something

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:28 pm 

Pretty car :thumbs:

"If it ain't Rubbin, it ain't Dubbin"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:07 am 
dLk Redneck

Did you have to make the special tool to preload the fuel pump when you rebuilt it like you do with a VW?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:43 am 

ConcreteAce wrote:
Did you have to make the special tool to preload the fuel pump when you rebuilt it like you do with a VW?

Nope, the dome top works great to press against the diaphram upside down, while inserting a c-clip on the motor end of the center plunger. Pretty easy actually, toughest part was getting a little seal out of the middle, which is what was actually bad on mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:56 am 

SOLD - Trying to find a house close to work so I have my own garage. Hard to justify these prices when I could buy twice as nice twice as big out in League City / Kemah for half the price. That commute though...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:54 pm 

You just work it into your life / budget. I bet it is nice to be home in a few min instead of an hour though.

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9