It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: '66 912
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:56 am 

Are you going to try to get him to reimburse you on shipping? If he doesn't, that's a bunch of crap. :furious:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:51 pm 

he sent the $800 for shipping via ACH. I'm going to drain my bank account as soon as it hits, ACH you have 7 days to re-call it.

He also lied about new tires all the way around. They are old, mismatched, cracked, and leaking

here's the description of the running condition

Quote:
"The motor she was born with was retired but has been replaced with a VERY peppy and new 1969 - 912 motor that gives her new life. The motor stamp for this motor is 4095979. This is a VERY low milage motor that has tons of power and needs nothing!
The transmission is a very tight and well working 5 speed transmission that I believe it original to the car (will inspect further upon request). Car runs, drives and shifts wonderfully and will provide it's owner with an exhilarating driving experience for many miles and years to come"

Total BS. The car, with rear brakes locking up and squeeling, barely made it down my 30 yard driveway and into the garage. I set the static timing at just before the notch. replaced the front spark plugs, they werent bad, but getting to the rears was difficult, pulling out the little rubber insulators proved difficult. I'll have a go at that again this week. Adjusted the valves, all the exhausts where a little tight, the intakes a little loose. It runs better, I have what I think is an exhaust leak at the #1 head to exhaust point. Doesnt seem to be coming out of the slip joint from J-Pipe to Bursch, but maybe.

I can't get it down under 2K. I played with the linkage, helped some.

video below, click to play

I have been thinking carbs all along, but everyone is telling me distributor first. So, I'll check that and see how it's advancing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:05 pm 

That sucks man!!! Was that an ebay buy?

"If it ain't Rubbin, it ain't Dubbin"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:20 am 

oval1 wrote:

yep. Discussing my options with their claims dept. Doubt it will get anywhere, but the adjuster believes at the very least I should be reimburesed for the tires that were supposed to be included but not, the exhaust, and the distributor which looks to need rebuilt

I can fix all of it, sucks that I have to since I paid for what was supposed to be a perfectly good driving car. I couldnt resist, after tuning it up some, I drove it around the block. It wont even get above 20mph, but thats good, because around the corner, while driving, the steering wheel came right off. FUN! Good thing I have that nice Nardi to put on

so pretty much everything has to be gone through. It will not be cruising the freeway any time soon lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:30 pm 

Erik G wrote:
oval1 wrote:

yep. Discussing my options with their claims dept. Doubt it will get anywhere, but the adjuster believes at the very least I should be reimburesed for the tires that were supposed to be included but not, the exhaust, and the distributor which looks to need rebuilt

I can fix all of it, sucks that I have to since I paid for what was supposed to be a perfectly good driving car. I couldnt resist, after tuning it up some, I drove it around the block. It wont even get above 20mph, but thats good, because around the corner, while driving, the steering wheel came right off. FUN! Good thing I have that nice Nardi to put on

so pretty much everything has to be gone through. It will not be cruising the freeway any time soon lol

SO TOTAL BS

"The motor she was born with was retired but has been replaced with a VERY peppy and new 1969 - 912 motor that gives her new life. The motor stamp for this motor is 4095979. This is a VERY low milage motor that has tons of power and needs nothing!
The transmission is a very tight and well working 5 speed transmission that I believe it original to the car (will inspect further upon request). Car runs, drives and shifts wonderfully and will provide it's owner with an exhilarating driving experience for many miles and years to come"

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:57 pm 

Sorry to hear, Erik. Dishonesty can really sting.

Glad it all appears to be fixable.

Does it have Zenith 32NDIX carbs? If so, I have a donor "parts" spare that's leftover from my 356 days. I'd be happy to donate it to the cause.

1950 Beetle Standard Hoffman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:20 pm 

Solex PII-4 carbs. Notoriously difficult to tune, but the guys at 912bbs have sent me a ton of info that will help. They are split shaft, they don't open and close like webers or dells. I may swap over to dells and sell these. I think I'd actually turn a profit, gain some power, and lose some MPG

Thanks for the support! More of a PITA than anything, especially when you pay for what should be and was described as "runs drives and shifts wonderfully".

To his credit, after eBay contacted him, he sent an email asking for a detailed paypal invoice and he will pay for the tires, distributor rebuild and exhaust. To be continued, but if he does, I'll change my tune and get my ass to work in the garage.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:26 pm 

well, gotta change my tune, order up some parts, and get my ass workin' in the garage. He paid up a hefty refund. Like I said on FB, guess there are some honest folks out there that just aren't on top of things.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:55 pm 
dLk Redneck

Awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:05 pm 

I had a similar situation where I paid for shipping as part of the transaction. Apparently that's a big no no...

"If it ain't Rubbin, it ain't Dubbin"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next