It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: Woodwagen 68 Squareback
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:18 pm 

That's cool 8-) with me.. It's a small shop, but plenty of room for VWs in the parking lot. I'm going to be putting in some extra hours and Saturdays ..when the wife lets me!! To get the car ready for some shows later this spring, feel free to come by !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:12 am 

what's the address to your shop? I'm not on the southwest side often, but it'd be good to know.

Good to meet you today, Your car is insane. Very nice work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:40 am 

gostros wrote:
what's the address to your shop? I'm not on the southwest side often, but it'd be good to know.

1806 Stone Rd. Pearland

Saturday was fun!! Now I get to have more fun today.. On my way home, only about 3 or 4 miles from my house, the square started making noise that gradually got worse. :shock: It's coming from the bell housing. The motor is fine, good oil press. and not missing. It must be the flywheel or clutch coming loose. It's a turning-grinding noise. I'll either trailer the car to my shop, or pull the motor here at home the afternoon. Hopefully an easy cheap fix. I really want to make it out next week. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:32 am 
The Ukrainian

That sucks! Let me know if you need a hand sometime.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:34 am 
Der Luft Doktor

EAnderson wrote:
gostros wrote:

1806 Stone Rd. Pearland

Saturday was fun!! Now I get to have more fun today.. On my way home, only about 3 or 4 miles from my house, the square started making noise that gradually got worse. :shock: It's coming from the bell housing. The motor is fine, good oil press. and not missing. It must be the flywheel or clutch coming loose. It's a turning-grinding noise. I'll either trailer the car to my shop, or pull the motor here at home the afternoon. Hopefully an easy cheap fix. I really want to make it out next week. :D

Sorry about your trouble Eric! It sounds like you said, either the clutch or flywheel is coming lose. Let us know if you need any help!!!!

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm 
dLk Iron Chef

I am gonna guess its the throw out bearing. ,but I'm just guessing. I hope nothings tore up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:05 pm 

Well motor's out. It wasn't on that end of the motor. It was actually the cooling fan!! Two issues, first the bolt holding the pully on was loose, causing the fan to walk forward. I must not have torqued it down right. :oops: Yesterday was the first time out on the freeway, running it steady at 3000 rpm's. The other thing was that two small bolts that hold the inner part of the fan shroud were loose, and one was out bouncing around in the shroud. The fan dug a groove in the aluminum shroud where it was rubbing, this was the grinding noise. I'm going back together tomorrow night if the wife lets me :roll: I noticed that at TDC there is some end- play on the crank. Tomorrow I'll check how much. It's not much, is this ok? Not used to VW motors, so I don't know. If it's normal, how much is ok?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:19 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

Hey Eric,

Glad to hear it doesn't seem to be anything major and that you will have it back together soon (pending wife approval :P ).
On the crank end play thing, the normal range is only about .003-.007" or so, should barley be perceptible. On VW engines, the #1 bearing (on the flywheel end of the motor) is the thrust bearing, and there are shims that go between the thrust surface of the bearing and the flywheel (they are hidden behind the main seal) that you use to adjust the amount of play. There should be three of them. If you have excessive end play it could mean one of two things: either someone left out the end play shims, in which case you would probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of .040" play, or the bearing and case have developed slop and the thrust bearing is sliding in its saddle in the case. If its wore out like that one option is to have the case thrust cut and then buy a thrust bearing for a narrower case thrust, or get new cases. Let me know if you need any help or want me to look at it or what ever.

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:29 pm 
dLk Iron Chef

EAnderson wrote:
Well motor's out. It wasn't on that end of the motor. It was actually the cooling fan!! Two issues, first the bolt holding the pully on was loose, causing the fan to walk forward. I must not have torqued it down right. :oops: Yesterday was the first time out on the freeway, running it steady at 3000 rpm's. The other thing was that two small bolts that hold the inner part of the fan shroud were loose, and one was out bouncing around in the shroud. The fan dug a groove in the aluminum shroud where it was rubbing, this was the grinding noise. I'm going back together tomorrow night if the wife lets me :roll: I noticed that at TDC there is some end- play on the crank. Tomorrow I'll check how much. It's not much, is this ok? Not used to VW motors, so I don't know. If it's normal, how much is ok?

I would put a touch of locktite on that fan bolt.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:32 pm 

mk-Zero wrote:
Hey Eric,

Glad to hear it doesn't seem to be anything major and that you will have it back together soon (pending wife approval :P ).
On the crank end play thing, the normal range is only about .003-.007" or so, should barley be perceptible. On VW engines, the #1 bearing (on the flywheel end of the motor) is the thrust bearing, and there are shims that go between the thrust surface of the bearing and the flywheel (they are hidden behind the main seal) that you use to adjust the amount of play. There should be three of them. If you have excessive end play it could mean one of two things: either someone left out the end play shims, in which case you would probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of .040" play, or the bearing and case have developed slop and the thrust bearing is sliding in its saddle in the case. If its wore out like that one option is to have the case thrust cut and then buy a thrust bearing for a narrower case thrust, or get new cases. Let me know if you need any help or want me to look at it or what ever.

Man, thanks for the info. I really should wait and let you look at it. I think I've probably got .020 or more movement in the crank, only at TDC. Anywhere else it's not noticeable. I'll borrow a dail indicator from Robert next door to me tomorrow to check it. I'll let you know then. May end up going back together and saving up$$ for another motor. But I'd still like you to see it if you can.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 56  Next