It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: Woodwagen 68 Squareback
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:49 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

EAnderson wrote:
mk-Zero wrote:
Hey Eric,

Glad to hear it doesn't seem to be anything major and that you will have it back together soon (pending wife approval :P ).
On the crank end play thing, the normal range is only about .003-.007" or so, should barley be perceptible. On VW engines, the #1 bearing (on the flywheel end of the motor) is the thrust bearing, and there are shims that go between the thrust surface of the bearing and the flywheel (they are hidden behind the main seal) that you use to adjust the amount of play. There should be three of them. If you have excessive end play it could mean one of two things: either someone left out the end play shims, in which case you would probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of .040" play, or the bearing and case have developed slop and the thrust bearing is sliding in its saddle in the case. If its wore out like that one option is to have the case thrust cut and then buy a thrust bearing for a narrower case thrust, or get new cases. Let me know if you need any help or want me to look at it or what ever.

Man, thanks for the info. I really should wait and let you look at it. I think I've probably got .020 or more movement in the crank, only at TDC. Anywhere else it's not noticeable. I'll borrow a dail indicator from Robert next door to me tomorrow to check it. I'll let you know then. May end up going back together and saving up$$ for another motor. But I'd still like you to see it if you can.

That's kind of strange that it's only sloppy like that at TDC. I can't think of a way where that would be the case... I would say just keep driving it and think about building a new motor some day. The VW I drove in high school and a year or so into college probably has close to .100" of end play and I drove the piss out of it! The car finally got stolen, for all I know that motor is still running! :lol: Anyway, my point is that they will run when they are much worse off, they are pretty stout little motors when it comes down it it. If you want though I can probably swing by your shop some morning before I go into work and take a look at it. 8-)

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:17 am 

Brian, thanks for snapping me back to reality!! You're right, end play is end play, and should be the same everywhere. Last night I was tierd and frustrated, didn't realize the slop I felt at TDC was the slop in the cooling fan :oops: This morning I checked it. It's .016, I don't think that's even worth thinking about. I'm just not used to pulling a motor out, unless it's in pieces :lol: I was prepared, and looking for the worst. I'm going back together tonight with star lock, washers new bolts, and Loctite!! Anyway thanks for the help and advise. One last ?.... Does anyone know the proper torque for the generator/cooling fan bolt.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:23 am 
Der Luft Doktor

EAnderson wrote:
Brian, thanks for snapping me back to reality!! You're right, end play is end play, and should be the same everywhere. Last night I was tierd and frustrated, didn't realize the slop I felt at TDC was the slop in the cooling fan :oops: This morning I checked it. It's .016, I don't think that's even worth thinking about. I'm just not used to pulling a motor out, unless it's in pieces :lol: I was prepared, and looking for the worst. I'm going back together tonight with star lock, washers new bolts, and Loctite!! Anyway thanks for the help and advise. One last ?.... Does anyone know the proper torque for the generator/cooling fan bolt.

Thanks

I'm glad everything's okay Eric! I can look up the torque when I get home, Chuck's type III manual is still at my place. Unless someone else knows it, Dylan probably knows...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:41 am 

mk-Zero wrote:
I'm glad everything's okay Eric! I can look up the torque when I get home, Chuck's type III manual is still at my place. Unless someone else knows it, Dylan probably knows...

I have the good manual with me,it looks like it says to tighten the bolt between 94 and 108 ft pounds..and as far as the end play it says"The crankshaft end play is between 0.06 and 0.12 mm.Wear limit is 0.15 mm"

1965 VW 1500 S Notchback

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:29 am 
Der Luft Doktor

notchback65 wrote:
mk-Zero wrote:

I have the good manual with me,it looks like it says to tighten the bolt between 94 and 108 ft pounds..and as far as the end play it says"The crankshaft end play is between 0.06 and 0.12 mm.Wear limit is 0.15 mm"

Well, there ya go! :P :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:46 pm 

Fun way to spend Sunday!! At least nothing major was hurt!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:20 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

Sweet, I'm glad she's going back together! I can't wait to cruise along with it (and you too, Eric :mrgreen: ) on Saturday!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:10 pm 
dLk po-lease

im looking forward to seeing this car...looks amazing in the pics

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:04 pm 
dLk Redneck

I still think those bags are the bomb!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:15 pm 

This is mini-woodwagen!! My 2 year old son's version of my car. Only it's a 65' mine's a 68' It's a Jada toy V-Dub. Custom painted woodgrain to match my car.
Notice the license plate, my friend is into H.O. trains he made the plate that matches mine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 56  Next