It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 77  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 55: Re-Invented
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:16 pm 
dLk Redneck

Looks killer on there!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:49 am 
Der Luft Doktor

I drove it into work today. Couldn't "test" out the tires too much in traffic, but there's a short segment of road just before work that has a tight-ish 90-deg turn that usually doesn't have any traffic. Normally I would have dropped it into 2nd for this turn, but emboldened by my new rubber, I thought, "what the hell?" and took it in 3rd. The damn thing stuck like glue, only getting a little loose in back for an instant when I got hard on the throttle, but it squared up immediately. If I had done that with my old tires at that speed I probably would have swapped ends, it would not have ended well :lol:
The real test will come Sunday 8-)

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:24 pm 

mk-Zero wrote:
I drove it into work today. Couldn't "test" out the tires too much in traffic, but there's a short segment of road just before work that has a tight-ish 90-deg turn that usually doesn't have any traffic. Normally I would have dropped it into 2nd for this turn, but emboldened by my new rubber, I thought, "what the hell?" and took it in 3rd. The damn thing stuck like glue, only getting a little loose in back for an instant when I got hard on the throttle, but it squared up immediately. If I had done that with my old tires at that speed I probably would have swapped ends, it would not have ended well :lol:
The real test will come Sunday 8-)

How did it go Sunday?

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:06 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

Yesterday was great! The tires made such a huge difference. Basically, I was a whole 5 seconds faster than my previous outing a month ago (I ran 9 seconds faster laps, but the track was 4 seconds faster if you look at the fastest time anyone did on each). With each run I was able to push the car harder and harder, improving by about 6 seconds from my first to my last run. Overall, I finished a little better than half, I ranked #70 out of 149 cars for my best lap. Muuuuch better than my first time, where I was #115/123 :lol:
I'm pretty happy that my 65 year old car is able to hang with many modern sports cars and muscle cars. I was a faster than a whole lot of Porsches, Camaros, Mustangs, WRXs, and so on.
At the limit, the car was pushing (understeering) in the turns, so I expect the offset bushings will help a lot when I install them and get some negative front camber. Other than that I can always play with my shock settings and tire pressures a bit too. I think there is a lot more I can wring out of the car, and needless to say I have a lot of room for improvement in my driving, so hopefully I can keep advancing.

For now, here's a video a friend of mine took track-side of my second fastest lap. I'll get another video like the last one together when I have time. This time I hope to include RPMs and O2 readings from my Innovate system. The more data the better!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:32 pm 
dLk Redneck

patiently waiting on upload :D :thumbs: :beer:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:48 am 
Der Luft Doktor

Still no chance to work on the video yet, I've been out of town camping the last 4 days. Went 140 miles of off-road through the Mojave Desert "overland" style.

Anyway, I didn't buy the photo package this time, but I snipped the picture he took (so they have a water mark)

There's another one coming up on April 18, I'm hoping to get the front offset camber bushings in before them, but I'm pretty busy between now and then so it may not happen. At minimum I'll try to adjust the rear toe before then, there's waay too much right now.

Attachments:
Capture8.JPG
Capture8.JPG [ 137.9 KiB | Viewed 181 times ]
Capture7.JPG
Capture7.JPG [ 137.04 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]
Capture6.JPG
Capture6.JPG [ 141.81 KiB | Viewed 185 times ]
Capture5.JPG
Capture5.JPG [ 137.23 KiB | Viewed 182 times ]
Capture4.JPG
Capture4.JPG [ 171.48 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG [ 151.75 KiB | Viewed 197 times ]
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG [ 162.57 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG [ 142.59 KiB | Viewed 152 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:04 pm 

8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:03 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9rVgguHZkU/

Pretty cool, I got a text from one of the organizers of this asking me to participate. Play the video at the top of the page, they've got my car in there (appears on the bottom left). I told him I would, it sounds fun!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:33 am 
Der Luft Doktor

I got the video together finally. The audio is better, I got rid of that annoying rattling sound that was coming from the action cam. I also added the tach, but the signal dropped a time or two. No go on the O2 reading this time, got an error on the Innovate system after a few runs. Their stuff if pretty half assed sometimes, I may start looking for alternatives.
Anyway, enjoy :beer:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:42 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

I did some analysis on a couple of the pictures the photographer took of my car last time and found something interesting. Apparently, the front torsion arms are deflecting pretty significantly during hard cornering, enough that the loaded wheel (outer one in a turn) is going a few degrees into positive camber. I've read about this before, but I was a little surprised to actually see it show up that much.

In the pictures you can see the green horizontal-ish line through the headlight grill bolts, and then a line in green showing the axis of the wheel. The line through the headlights gives a reference to the chassis of the car to account for body roll in the turn, the picture not being level, etc. The yellow lines are at 90-degrees (zero camber) to the chassis reference lines. I measured the angle between the chassis lines and wheel axis lines and found about 2.5-degrees positive camber in one picture and over 3.5-degrees positive camber in the other! Static front camber on my car is about 0.5-degrees positive, but I'm running a few degrees of caster, so if anything the camber of the outer wheel should have been at least slightly negative.

In hindsight, this probably isn't that surprising. These cars were designed to run skinny bias-ply tires and only make 30-some-odd hp. They were probably lucky to pull half a G in a corner. I was pulling about 1 G or more, so I'm putting more than double the load on the suspension as it was designed for. Also, the cars were designed to favor understeer at the limit, so even if the VW engineers knew there was some deflection in those arms it was okay because it would favor understeer. The 40/60 weight distribution and swingaxle rear suspension made the cars naturally prone to oversteer, so they did everything they could to make the cars more likely to understeer (front sway bar, positive front camber, possibly built-in torsion arm deflection, and on later cars softer rear torsion bars and eventually rear Z-bars).

I plan to buy a spare set of front torsion arms and weld bracing to them to try and stiffen them up in the future. But first will come the offset bushings to at least get some static negative front camber. I may throw another pair of caster shims on it too to get some more camber while turning.

Attachment:
Capture8-analysis.png
Capture8-analysis.png [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 156 times ]

Attachment:
Capture6-analysis.png
Capture6-analysis.png [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 180 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 77  Next