It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 77  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 55: Re-Invented
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:30 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

This morning I decided to take a drive through the local canyons. It's about a 50 mile round trip. I've done it before, but last time was on a weekend and there were a lot of bicycles and motorcycles, and traffic in general. It was much better today, I was able to enjoy the drive much more and open her up a bit more without being a public nuisance lol. This is the most scenic section of the trip, which only lasts about 6 minutes. The rest of the canyon is a bit more open and has nice sweeping turns you can take much faster without being unsafe, and is still very scenic. There's some other canyons around here I want to try out too (but sadly not too many within a reasonable distance from home), I'll make videos of them when I do them too. Enjoy!

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:08 pm 

I have not stopped by here in a while and wow that is a lot of really interesting updates! Great job. You have inspired me to double check my alignment.

Particularly interested in the chassis stiffeners you are working on. I have a set of the cheapies that look like they will also take some modification to fit. With the narrowed beam and sway bar I am really curious how they will work out.

I narrowed a traction bar to fit my sidewinder header and feel that it sits to low and is a bit funky, look forward to what you come up with.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:31 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

j-dub wrote:
I have not stopped by here in a while and wow that is a lot of really interesting updates! Great job. You have inspired me to double check my alignment.

Particularly interested in the chassis stiffeners you are working on. I have a set of the cheapies that look like they will also take some modification to fit. With the narrowed beam and sway bar I am really curious how they will work out.

I narrowed a traction bar to fit my sidewinder header and feel that it sits to low and is a bit funky, look forward to what you come up with.

Hey man, good to hear from you!

Yeah, those stiffeners are kind of junky... Empi... not surprising. I don't know if they were too long just because I have an early car, or it they're really just that messed up for all cars. I still have to finish the passenger side, but I need to relocate my fuel pump because its outlet is sitting on the firewall right where the stiffener needs to go. Always something! And yeah, with my 4" beam they barley fit, they are almost out to the shock towers. No problem clearing the sway bar though.

I have so many projects going on for the car now, I don't know when I'll get to a traction bar, but in my mind I will cut a section out to clear the Sidewinder and then make a curved piece of some sort to bridge that section and clear the header tubes. There's really no end to the things I need/want to do to the car now that I'm racing it. There's always room for improvement that just driving around on the street you would never know about.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:33 pm 

Totally agree there is really no end, but that is a good thing for a hobby car! :thumbs:

Just went and measured my toe in, I was at 3/8", and I can say it feels like there is too much toe in. It is numb upon turn in, but that might be just compared to a modern car. I don't know if 3/8 is a lot for these cars or not.

I did a few rounds of adjustment and settled on just under 1/16", based on my home made 24" toe plates and using two tape measures like you showed a few pages back. Likely won't take it for a spin till this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:41 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

1/16" should be good. That should improve turn-in a bit. Factory spec is 1-3mm IIRC.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:01 pm 

Enjoyed your 6 min+ video on the canyon drive. :thumbs:
And bug looks great and your engine has a good mellow sound. :beer:
Brian B.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 pm 

Watched and enjoyed your Youtube video. Your video and content were impressive to also have 3 axis Automotive Accelerometer inertial sensing. All in a VW Bug. Just great!
PS: Your 3D Design & Manufacturing are spot on. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:02 pm 
dLk Redneck

:beer: great work on the video

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 pm 

Brian,
Since we are talking alignment.... In the rear do you like toe in or toe out? Gene Berg was a proponent of toe out, google returns results all over the place.

The Bentley reads -5, +/- 10 ' which is not totally clear to me.

On my car I currently have 1/8" toe out, likely due to moving the transmission forward.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:54 am 
Der Luft Doktor

Hey guys, thanks for all your nice comments! Thanks Brian B for your comments on YouTube too, I didn't realize you were also on here :beer:
I replied to your comment on YouTube with more info on my setup. The app I mentioned, TrackAddict is absolutely amazing and fun to mess with, even if you're not racing, and its FREE! Any car guy should play with it, seriously. The free version of RaceRender is also awesome. The free version is limited to 3 min videos, so it was fine for autocross, but I upgraded so I could make the canyon run video, and I like supporting companies that do good work when I use their products 8-)

j-dub: As far as I know, you should never have toe-out on a swing axle car! Those cars are dangerously and often unpredictably tail happy to start with, and having toe out in the rear will make it worse when the car is pushed. Rear toe out makes the rear of the car try to steer the car!
The proper amount of rear toe is tricky and probably somewhat controversial. How much power the car makes can influence it, the type of spring plate bushings (soft rubber vs. urethane vs. solid metal) can all make a difference. Under power, since the rear of the car is pushing the car, rear tow-in will increase. The more power, the more the increase, and the softer the spring plate bushings, the more toe-in will increase. A lot of guys seem to set it at close to 0, knowing that then under power they will get a little toe in. That should be a safe way to do it.
The rear of my car is a mess right now and I've been neglecting it. I have a stupid amount of rear toe-in, like over 1/2" :shock: Why, I don't know, I never measured it till recently. :oops: Pretty sure I will have to lengthen the slots on the spring plates to change it to a reasonable amount. That much toe gives you tons of rear traction, but at the expense of a lot of rolling-resistance, which only serves to eat horsepower and wear tires. I think I am going to address this next on my car.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 77  Next