It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 77  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 55: Re-Invented
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:56 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

From what I remember they are bigger compared to the regular dual circuit MC's, couple mm's or so IIRC. What I'm wondering is if the piston for the front and rear circuits are different in sizes. I may see if the old leaking one will come apart, it would be kind of interesting to see...

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:33 pm 
dLk Redneck

mk-Zero wrote:
My next brake project needs to be customizing some cables and housings for the rear e-brakes. I havent had an e-brake in years! :shock: Any of you familiar with the older cars will know how weird the e-brake cable routing is on these cars. Needless to say the brake cables and housings that came with the rear disk brake kit wouldnt fit this car.

I was reading a thread about that situation and somone cut the tube and turned it up like a post 55 car and made the emergency brake work by switching out to a post 55 brake handle. seemed like a simple process.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:54 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

Even though my car is a lowly '55 I don't like hacking it up like that. I'm going to try customizing some cables to get it to work with the stock handle and mechanism ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:10 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

I bled the brakes with the power bleeder and took it for a spin. The brakes seem to take more pedal effort than i would have thought. I'm thinking either:
1) I haven't driven it in a few months and am used to cars with power brakes
2) the larger master cylinder takes more effort (the same force on a larger piston produces less pressure).
3) theres still air in the lines or in the master cylinder and this is why some people say not to power bleed a VW.

I might re-bleed the brakes soon to eliminate #3. If its 1 or 2 I'll get used to it now that I'll be driving it again regularly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:05 pm 
dLk Redneck

Funny thing Doc, I just bought a power bleeder , (after relenting for years I have heard the same thing that I shouldnt use them on VW's) I couldnt get a good pedal with the power bleeder. I ended up bleeding them the old fashioned way. and now I have brakes. my story

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:46 am 

I've had mixed results with the power bleeder, too. I still use it, but I've also had to sometimes go back to plain ol' manual foot bleeding, too.

1950 Beetle Standard Hoffman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:56 am 
Der Luft Doktor

Thanks guys! Good to know. I'm going to bleed them the "regular" way and see what happens. I'm thinking that there is probably an air bubble stuck in the master cylinder. With the piston all the way back the bubble just sits there by the piston and when you power bleed and the fluid just goes in the inlet and out the outlets. When you pump it you force any bubble with the piston toward the ports and out. I'm wondering if the power bleeder is good on VW's for bleeding a wheel cylinder or changing a brake line, but not so much for putting in a new master cylinder. I'll report back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:45 pm 

I have a clear bottle with brake fluid and hose from bleeder to the fluid .. setup ..pump till air bubbles are gone.. tighten.. pump a few times.. and release... seems to be that bleeding the brakes this way takes no time at all.. and is way to easy.. it always works for me.. and I have good pedal each time.. such a simple setup not high tech at all.. but works great..

I have some clear hose I got from a medical setup with the rubber tip thingy it fits perfect on the bleeder and allows me to use a 7mm wrench with out being in the way..
I drilled a hole in the lid to the bottle I use so they line stays easily in place and submerged in the fluid.. so it doesn't suck air back in.. during the pumping..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:15 pm 

tommiebsmith wrote:
I have a clear bottle with brake fluid and hose from bleeder to the fluid .. setup ..pump till air bubbles are gone.. tighten.. pump a few times.. and release... seems to be that bleeding the brakes this way takes no time at all.. and is way to easy.. it always works for me.. and I have good pedal each time.. such a simple setup not high tech at all.. but works great..

I have some clear hose I got from a medical setup with the rubber tip thingy it fits perfect on the bleeder and allows me to use a 7mm wrench with out being in the way..
I drilled a hole in the lid to the bottle I use so they line stays easily in place and submerged in the fluid.. so it doesn't suck air back in.. during the pumping..

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:17 pm 

tommiebsmith wrote:

I do it the same way with a water bottle and tubing.

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 77  Next