It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 77  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 55: Re-Invented
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:45 am 

mk-Zero wrote:
Got pulled over yesterday "test driving" my car around the neighborhood :lol:
Apparently the police got 3 separate calls that someone was "racing around" the neighborhood. :? Well, I may have gotten on it a few times, lol. Luckily the cop was super cool. He let me off with a warning and told me to just keep it under 25 in the neighborhood. At the time, I didn't have the decklid on, and hence no license plate. I'm sure he could have easily written me up a couple tickets for that and various equipment violations. He followed me back to my house and got my plate number. He didnt even mention they were TX plates, and expired at that, lol. I got *really* lucky.
As for the car, I need to go smaller on the idle jets, still running crappy through the progression circuit, and idle mixtures are only out 3/4 to 1 turn. AFR on the progression circuit is like 10:1 right now.

What size are you going on the idle jet?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:11 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

I've got 60's in it now and its still running poorly on the progression circuit. I discovered recently though that my tuner may have set my floats a few mm too high when he was dyno tuning it, so I need to reset them before I mess with the jetting any more. Hopefully this weekend I'll have a chance to tune on it some.

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:34 pm 
The Ukrainian

What tools are you using to measure float height? Are you running rich or lean on the progression circuit?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:14 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

kostya.lyt wrote:
What tools are you using to measure float height? Are you running rich or lean on the progression circuit?

I'm using a combination of indicators and calipers. It's running pig rich on the progression circuit, even with 60 idles. Hopefully bringing the floats down to spec will have a big impact, it should, they are about 3+ mm high.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:58 pm 
The Ukrainian

mk-Zero wrote:
kostya.lyt wrote:

I'm using a combination of indicators and calipers. It's running pig rich on the progression circuit, even with 60 idles. Hopefully bringing the floats down to spec will have a big impact, it should, they are about 3+ mm high.

Hmm, mine is opposite, goes really lean during progression...

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:41 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

If progression starts off fine and then goes lean as you go through it you can decrease the idle air.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:28 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

Just goes to show you, if you want something done right, do it yourself. I had set the floats originally before bringing the motor to Darren for dyno break-in/ tuning. I asked him to double check them and he said they were low and readjusted them. It was running like complete crap on the low speed circuit and not responding to jet changes. I eliminated everything else and decided to check the float heights. Well, low and behold, they were 4+ mm too high! :roll: On top of that, the plug gaps ranged all over the place. So I fixed both those things, took it for a quick spin, changed the idle jets once, and now its damn near perfect (65 idles and 120 holders). I may go up a half more size on the idle jets, we'll see once I drive it some more.
I'll probably have to re-jet the main circuit too since it was set up with floats that were way too high. At least now I can start driving it more. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:18 pm 

mk-Zero wrote:
Just goes to show you, if you want something done right, do it yourself. I had set the floats originally before bringing the motor to Darren for dyno break-in/ tuning. I asked him to double check them and he said they were low and readjusted them. It was running like complete crap on the low speed circuit and not responding to jet changes. I eliminated everything else and decided to check the float heights. Well, low and behold, they were 4+ mm too high! :roll: On top of that, the plug gaps ranged all over the place. So I fixed both those things, took it for a quick spin, changed the idle jets once, and now its damn near perfect (65 idles and 120 holders). I may go up a half more size on the idle jets, we'll see once I drive it some more.
I'll probably have to re-jet the main circuit too since it was set up with floats that were way too high. At least now I can start driving it more. 8-)

4mm is about an 1/8th of an inch. not a big amount, but I can see where it would make a huge difference with the floats. Crazy when you think about it. That tiny amount made the car drive like crap and was probably driving you crazy :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:03 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

yeah, in terms of float heights it might as well have been a mile. the spec is 5.5-6.0 mm, they were over 10. everything about those carbs is designed to work based on that level being correct. Take for instance the main jet stack, the hole in the secondary venturi that leads to the main jet well is intended to be about 5 mm above the fuel level, if the fuel level is 4 mm high, its nearly up to that opening even with out a vacuum signal. Same basic principal applies to the idle/low speed circuit.
And yes, it was driving me crazy, just ask Paul and Chuck :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:22 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

I drover her around about half an hour today. The lowspeed circuit still needs some work, but the drivability is good enough to start driving it to work. I mounted my LM1 on an old cell phone windshield mount so I can keep an eye on it when driving to help me sort the jetting out. So far it looks like its going rich in the upper part of the progression circuit, it may need a larger idle holder.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 77  Next