It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clay's 69
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:54 pm 

any updates .

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:02 am 

Starting to get back to it after a rough 2012 and early 2013 for my family. The body is still at the shop for body work and paint. I pretty much have the chasis ready except for the pans (and I want to lower the rear). I was going to weld them in, but realized I dont want the bolt holes in the pans to be off from the body, so I guess I will wait until the body is back on in order to line up the holes before welding. I have the 1600dp freshened up and ready to go back on the trans. It was running when I pulled it so I am hoping all is well. The carb is different, so I assume some tuning will be needed. The air cleaner is not staying. I just have it on there to keep dirt from getting in while it sits. I am also strongly considering tearing it all back down and turning it into a 1776! I would like to start it once it is back on the trans just to make sure everything is fine before the body gets done.

I am not sure how to get Picassa phots to embed, but here is the link.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11347487 ... yJDT3Y2yEQ

On another note I pulled all my parts out of my garage Sunday evening to reorganize and find some stuff I need. Pulled the seats out and found that rats had chewed through the cover on the rear bottom and had built a nest in the rear seat back! :furious: I had just recovered them a few months before i started this restoration. Oh well, I was going to take them apart to clean up the frames anyways. Looks like I get more practice in recovering rear seats.

In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility -- I welcome it.

John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:23 am 

Clay - I'm willing to help in any way you need it. Just let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:17 am 

Thanks, Bo! Your help would be great. I am kind of at a stand still until the body gets back. I could really use help doing the pans since I have never done them.

In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility -- I welcome it.

John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:48 am 

Got the engine fired up last night and it ran smooth. Did not want to idle very good. Carb needs tweaking. Major problem was oil is leaking underneath pretty bad. Only thing I can think is that the case is not sealed good. I think now is the time to just tear it apart and make sure it gets put back together the right way.

John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:01 am 

Could be the push rod tubes . easier fix.

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l384/rcarpen496/?action=view&current=MVI_0122.mp4

69 Beetle sunroof

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:11 am 

69vduber wrote:
Could be the push rod tubes . easier fix.

I agree. Pushrod tubes, sump plate, oil cooler. Could be any of those.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:54 pm 

Well, seems to be the cam plug. It had a leak before I parked it for the tear down, but no this bad! Looks like it is a grooved cam plug. So, my question is this....is there any way to replace a grooved cam plug without splitting the case? :help:

John F. Kennedy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:29 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

Nope. Short of just trying to seal it from the outside with copious amounts of RTV, you're going to have to split the case.

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:03 pm 

That is what I was thinking the answer would be....oh well. Now is the time to do it.

John F. Kennedy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next