It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: '63 Notchback
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:58 am 

Not much going on, just driving and doing little stuff

My buddy in So-Cal makes these cool reproduction Kamei golve box deviders for type 3's and type 34's. They are perfect, he borrowed an OG of Everett's. He also makes a repro Kamei squareback full rear cover that's pretty bad ass

So, drove it to work friday morning, it was chilly. The heater, in typical type3 fashon, is so freakin hot you have to roll the windows down

On the way home, got stuck at a train, so I turned it off knowing it's gonna be 5-10 minutes. Left the lights on...oops. Doesnt want to start, wont catch, traffic and people honking. I remembered the lights, and while cranking it over turned 'em off. Big back fire, and kicked #4 sparkplug out of the head. I managed to get it home on 3 to look at the damage

I can see the threads on the plug a little messed up, but no metal shavings anywhere. Called up BapGeon, guy ordered me NGK B5HS plugs, said they come in a box of 10 but I can just buy 4 if thats what I need, and they will be there in the morning

So get up early after a long friday night of music with friends on the east side. drive in traffic out to BapGeon, should take 10 minutes, it took 45. Sit there for half an hour and he tells me they only sent one box, with one plug in it :bs:

so I had to go back later, I wasn't going to pay a minimum to buy 1 $2.50 spark plug on my debit card.

Anyways, go back later, traffic again, get the plugs, get home, found my gapper tool, anti sieze, spark plug socket, wobbles, etc. Get it in, and it felt a little tight but it held. I took it out saterday night and got up to about 140 (kph lol) on memorial, no issues at all so I think it's good

Sunday I did some little stuff that makes a differance. Clock wasnt working, took it apart, cleaned some stuff, now it seems to be working. Also got the gauges to light up at night, none of them were working. Installed the parcel tray, I think this had actually been with the car since day 2, there is a tag and reciept for a Gepackablage in the book of documents

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:33 pm 
dLk Redneck

I cant wait to see it in person. I have dealt with my fair share of cross threaded spark plugs and blown out spark plug holes at least you were able to thread it back in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:37 pm 

ConcreteAce wrote:
I cant wait to see it in person. I have dealt with my fair share of cross threaded spark plugs and blown out spark plug holes at least you were able to thread it back in.

yeah, thankfully. Finding a single port early 311 head isn't easy. I did find some in case I need them...

More little stuff. I got the horn to work, but its really really quiet, and doesnt work at all if the headlights are on. I think the horn itself may be 12v american, it doesnt have any typical bosch stamps. The left front turn signal was wired backwards so I fixed that.

And I bought a radio... Hopefully gets here from Germany soon, and I need some more stuff to actually mount and use it, but, little by little...

now if I can just find one of these...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:37 am 
dLk Redneck

That radio looks great!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:04 am 

Man, that car is sooo cool :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

"If it ain't Rubbin, it ain't Dubbin"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:38 pm 

Thanks guys

Lots of stuff going on, radio is here, got the front and rear brackets today as well as a NOS full tie rod assembly including the super elusive left hand inner tie rod end (If you have an early type 3, do yourself a favor and buy two now if you can find them - they are no longer made). Hopeing tommorrow after work I can get in the garage, pop the old tie rod out, adjust the new tie rod to the same leingth and pop it in, and be ready for Toys for Tots Saterday morning without going through a full alignment.

Radio

Radio Brackets and the NOS no longer made inner tie rod end. You can see the 9 degree angle it's set at, these are no longer made and straight ones will only last about a year, so stock up

Was busy bailing a friend out (literally) and missed this... Crusty but impossable to find, should have been closer to $300

and I realized I never put up good interior pics

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:55 pm 
dLk bass hunter

Clean interior :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:47 am 

Who's this Freebird guys :redguy: :redguy: Glad you're back!

"If it ain't Rubbin, it ain't Dubbin"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:58 pm 
dLk bass hunter

Right on, man! Time to get back in the game! :dance:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:01 pm 

got my tie rod in the mail, so decided to install it after work yesterday, thinking "this will be quick and easy" - HA!

The outer popped off easy, the inner wouldnt budge. So, drain a full tank, gas in my arm pit, in my hair... get the tank out, get the inner end done, reassemble, back together and what I thought would take 45min took 2 hours...

hopefully this will fix the issue of darting to the left when using the brakes. First freeway test will be saterday on the way to PasaGetDownDena

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next