It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mike's '60 vert
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:46 pm 
dLk bass hunter

Hope you guys don't mind, but I thought it would be easier for me to keep track of my project by starting a thread dedicated to the vert. :thumbs:

I've always like seeing the fuel tap operating levers in everyone else's cars and wondered why mine didn't have one. After further review, I notice that the previous owner had a fuel tap put in with only one tube coming up through the tank and obviously didn't want the reserve feature. I also noticed that there is no mesh filter inside the tank. Just the open tube sucking in whatever it wants and relying on the fuel filter in the back. Furthermore, I notice that the fuel line running from underneath the tank to the fuel pump is a transmission hose and not a fuel hose. I thought I'd just change that out since I'm at it.

I'm going to order up the parts and thought I'd throw out here my ideas to see if any of you has any input/advise/suggestions. From what I see, I noticed that jbugs and airhead parts either didn't have what I needed or they were more pricey, so I am leaning towards ordering from California Imports. Below is what I have put together. I thought that maybe I'd just pick up fuel and hose clamps locally?

Part# 111 209 021 E fuel tap - Fuel Tap, 1956 thru 1961, can be used on pre 1955 cars
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 11-209-021
$51.19+free ship

In Tank Metal Fuel Filter Mesh With Seal
Part# 111 209 147 AWS
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 09-147-AWS
$8.79+free ship

Fuel tap operating lever
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... -209-167-B
$7.19+free ship

TOTAL From cip1.com - $67.19 out the door

What ye say?

Thanks in advance fellas! :)

Post subject: Re: Mike's '60 vert
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:59 pm 
dLk Redneck

Awesome look forward to the updates :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:49 pm 
dLk bass hunter

I finally got all the parts I needed to change out the fuel tap, fuel line, and install a fuel tap lever. I was waiting for cip1 to get the fuel tap in stock, never happened, so I finally ended up paying more from Jbugs just to get it here. Also, I thought that since I'm going to have to remove that tank that I'd order the POR-15 Large Auto Fuel Tank Repair Kit.

When I looked in the tank I noticed that there is a little bit of rust near the fuel tap. Since I'm going to have to drain and pull the tank for the new tap, I thought I should just order the tank repair kit while I'm at it. I also ordered a new tank to body seal, because at this point I have no idea if there is even one on the car or what it currently looks like.

This will be my first time pulling, cleaning, and sealing a gas tank. It seems pretty straight forward from the youtube videos that I've watched, but if anyone has any advice I'm all ears. :thumbs:

I should receive the kit by no later than next weekend. I'll post updates once I finally get after it. :dance:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:03 am 
dLk Iron Chef

It is a straight forward job. Not hard at all.

Any time you want to pull your motor: set the reserve lever in the middle and it will stop the gas from flowing.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:04 pm 
dLk bass hunter

Dlicious wrote:
It is a straight forward job. Not hard at all.

Any time you want to pull your motor: set the reserve lever in the middle and it will stop the gas from flowing.....

Good to know! Thanks! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:36 pm 
dLk bass hunter

Finally got a little time to work on the bug last Saturday night (and dodged tornados). First started with moving enough shit around in the garage to be able to work in it. I started by ripping out the sound system, then the alarm that the prev owner had installed. I couldn't tell what was what with the mess of wires running everywhere. Next, I started pulling the carpet out to see what I was going to expose.

By no means am I looking to build a show car, but I do want a safe daily driver. The heater channels are in really bad shape and will need to be replaced. The other cancer I found is on the driver's side firewall assembly. The bottom corner is rotting out. Obviously, there may be more things to replace/fix, but it's the major rust that I can't do myself.

I'm going to continue working on the car to repair and upgrade as much as I can until I'm financially ready to take the car to a body shop that can repair the damage for me. Luckily, those issues aren't a show stopper for me as there's plenty to do.

Anyway, I also ripped out the gas tank and removed the rubber fuel lines. It's amazing any fuel even made it to the motor due to the fact that the previous owner had the fuel lines kinked in multiple places. Instead of adding more hose or re-routing the fuel lines for a better contour, they were just bent and almost closed off just to get them in place. My plan is to clean and seal the gas tank this weekend and replace the rubber fuel hoses. I'm just excited to put it back together and have the fuel handle with the reserve option in the car! Small rewards :hillbilly:

Oh, and then learned a lesson about not letting the axle tubes rest on the frame causing the boots to crack. :nono: I'll be replacing those soon also.....

Here are a few pics of the car that I took....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:04 pm 
dLk bass hunter

Last night replaced the positive battery cable with a new one, adjusted the valves, removed the drivers side boot of the tranny, fought with putting the new one on (and gave up until next time), then removed the tail lights and installed the LED kit that I got off the samba. Most of the wires that I'm looking at in the car just need to be replaced. Too many splices, dried sheathing, etc. Eventually, I'm just going to have to buy a wire loom. ....put it on the list ;)