It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle Getting Some Air
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:00 pm 

im trying my best to convince him to cut the tunnel and reinforce / repair the clutch tube brackets while he has the pan off. Do i hear a second on that motion????

And a few other things, lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:07 am 

I still need to back weld these and clean them up a bit....but we are just fitting and roughing stuff out the moment.

The fitment of these "ARK" plates are a bit fiddly....but thanks to Justin Guthrie and Jason Burch, we managed to get her in the correct place. One side is officially tacked together. Tonight I will remove these (as one piece) from the car and permanently weld them together and then fit the whole assembly back to the car.

She sits LOW....but not low enough. I need drop spring plates or else I have to start trimming the shock tower/bump stop. The stock spring plates have already been trimmed/clearanced per Airkewld's instructions.

All in all, it felt like an extremely productive evening!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:19 am 

fcscott wrote:
im trying my best to convince him to cut the tunnel and reinforce / repair the clutch tube brackets while he has the pan off. Do i hear a second on that motion????

And a few other things, lol

"I am not restoring a car in 2017"

LOL

I might do the clutch tube just for you Frank!

I am already doing a pan, tons of rubber parts, carpet, and brake lines..... :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:50 am 
dLk Redneck

I personally have never had a clutch tube break lose on me. I have read of it happening many times on the samba. I do know all about the domino effect of "while I am here I might as well do this or that".

They sure have changed that kit a lot since the days of it bolting straight to the spring plate :beer: How long before you set the body back on?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:37 am 

I am hoping to have the body back on by mid march. I want to have some time to work out any bugs before the classic.

I'm just doing what I can each evening until I get off these 7/12s.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:51 am 

looks really good. a lot different than my IRS set up I did mine without taking the body off the pan. that's a good thing because if I had I would be mid two restoration/rebuild projects because the snowball would have taken me away. Keep the pictures coming.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:48 pm 

No work was completed last night....had to eat some Mexican food and drink a couple adult beverages with the wife.

I hope to get the RT side completely mocked up this evening, and clearance the shock towers a bit for some added LOW. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:59 pm 

I worked on the passenger side "ARK" bracket (upper bag mount) last night and got it mocked up. When I got up this morning....I was not pleased with the fitment so, it had to come back off. After grinding and cutting the spot welds, I was able to knock it all apart and clean all the pieces back up to start over.

Over the last few work days, my borrowed Chinese welder has had a few intermittent hiccups where it stops feeding wire or won't start feeding wire. Well, tonight it bit the dust. I assumed it was the micro switch in the gun handle, but I was wrong. Somewhere in the wiring was a break. After I built a new wire set and attempted for an hour to fish then through with the rest of the gun parts, I gave up and just ran them externally. I'll go back later and try again before returning the welder to my father.

Anyway.... back to the airbags! I was FINALLY able to get the second side mocked up and tacked in place. I am MUCH happier with the fitment now.

Please excuse the shop mess.....this 20x20 is shrinking daily.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:01 am 

That's a pretty pink hammer you got there

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:27 am 

I stole that from the wife fair and square. It amazing how handy that size of hammer is. Lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next