It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ron's 1966 Beetle Project
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:30 pm 

New Update!
I am adding a 1.5 quart oil sump, because two weeks ago, it started to overheat. I got it mounted yesterday and had to let the Permatex gasket stuff dry for 24 hours.
Tonight or tomorrow, I will add in the filter and seal it up and put some oil in the engine and check for leaks. I want to be done by Friday so I can go up to the Kroger at 99 and 59 in New Caney and sit in between all of the hot rods. LOL

The sump I am installing: https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1738.htm

Attachments:
TTAT6204.JPG
TTAT6204.JPG [ 2.15 MiB | Viewed 243 times ]

-------------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:17 pm 
dLk Redneck

That stock single port motor should not need a sump. You might have other issues that are causing you to overheat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:45 am 
Der Luft Doktor

ConcreteAce wrote:
That stock single port motor should not need a sump. You might have other issues that are causing you to overheat.

I'm with Ethan on this one. Especially if it just started doing this recently...
How do you know it overheated, do you have gauges? Did the oil get hot, or the cylinderheads? What was your oil temp and pressure, cylinderhead temp, etc if available? Is your fan belt slipping? Maybe the oil bypass valve is sticking? I'd be looking at those things before adding extra oil capacity.

'56 Oval Vert- Okrasa 36 hp
'52 Standard Split Window
1953 Fleetwood Travel Trailer
2010 FJ Cruiser- The Mountain Goat
30 Ford Model A Pickup Hotrod
Conklin Performance & Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:36 pm 

mk-Zero wrote:
ConcreteAce wrote:

I'm with Ethan on this one. Especially if it just started doing this recently...
How do you know it overheated, do you have gauges? Did the oil get hot, or the cylinderheads? What was your oil temp and pressure, cylinderhead temp, etc if available? Is your fan belt slipping? Maybe the oil bypass valve is sticking? I'd be looking at those things before adding extra oil capacity.

I have one of those temperature dipsticks that jumpers off the oil pressure switch. When it overheated, I was getting off of the freeway and the light started flickering, which is when the oil temperature gets to be about 225F. I agree that there may be other issues with the cooling. I am looking at swapping the shroud out for a 36hp version and a newer fan and a remote oil cooler. Also at the time it got hot, the engine was way too full on oil. Part of adding the sump is changing the oil and only filling it to the top line.

Any suggestions you guys have I definitely welcome them.

-R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:01 am 
Der Luft Doktor

BrookShadow_RC wrote:
mk-Zero wrote:
ConcreteAce wrote:

I have one of those temperature dipsticks that jumpers off the oil pressure switch. When it overheated, I was getting off of the freeway and the light started flickering, which is when the oil temperature gets to be about 225F. I agree that there may be other issues with the cooling. I am looking at swapping the shroud out for a 36hp version and a newer fan and a remote oil cooler. Also at the time it got hot, the engine was way too full on oil. Part of adding the sump is changing the oil and only filling it to the top line.

-R

I see. Check the oil bypass plunger on the pulley side of the motor, make sure it's not stuck. If it is, oil will bypass the oil cooler. Check the basics too like belt condition and tension. Luckily, our motors are pretty simple, there's only so many things that can go wrong :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 am 

mk-Zero wrote:
BrookShadow_RC wrote:
mk-Zero wrote:
ConcreteAce wrote:

-R

I see. Check the oil bypass plunger on the pulley side of the motor, make sure it's not stuck. If it is, oil will bypass the oil cooler. Check the basics too like belt condition and tension. Luckily, our motors are pretty simple, there's only so many things that can go wrong :P

Brian,
Thank you for the suggestion. Belt looks to be fairly new and tension is good. I checked it out the other day and the previous owner gave me two spares.

I will check out the oil bypass plunger here soon. Question. If I drive the car a short while, then shut it off, say to go into a store. Then come out and start the car and drive it, it seems to run hot. If its hot, would the bypass cooler be stuck open and bypass the cooler?

-Ron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:56 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

BrookShadow_RC wrote:

Brian,
Thank you for the suggestion. Belt looks to be fairly new and tension is good. I checked it out the other day and the previous owner gave me two spares.

I will check out the oil bypass plunger here soon. Question. If I drive the car a short while, then shut it off, say to go into a store. Then come out and start the car and drive it, it seems to run hot. If its hot, would the bypass cooler be stuck open and bypass the cooler?

-Ron

Hard to say Ron, especially without knowing the history of the motor. Is running hot something that it just recently started, or has it done it ever since you acquired it? If it's done it since you got it, it could just be a wore out motor with loose bearings and poor oil pressure. Think about investing in some gauges for oil temp and pressure, they'll go a long way toward helping you to diagnose things. Another possibility is your cylinder heads could be running really hot, which in turn heats up the oil. Again, I don't know the history of your car and motor, but "barn find" cars commonly are found to have nests from various varmints in their fan shrouds, blocking airflow to cylinders and/or the oil cooler. Just some food for though, depending on the history of your car and motor.
Good luck! :beer:

brian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:46 am 

mk-Zero wrote:
BrookShadow_RC wrote:

Brian,

-Ron

Hard to say Ron, especially without knowing the history of the motor. Is running hot something that it just recently started, or has it done it ever since you acquired it? If it's done it since you got it, it could just be a wore out motor with loose bearings and poor oil pressure. Think about investing in some gauges for oil temp and pressure, they'll go a long way toward helping you to diagnose things. Another possibility is your cylinder heads could be running really hot, which in turn heats up the oil. Again, I don't know the history of your car and motor, but "barn find" cars commonly are found to have nests from various varmints in their fan shrouds, blocking airflow to cylinders and/or the oil cooler. Just some food for though, depending on the history of your car and motor.
Good luck! :beer:

brian

Brian,

Since the oil change a couple of weeks ago, I have not experienced any heat issues. Previous owner said that the motor had been rebuilt 1500 miles before I purchased the car, which means that it probably had a little more that 2500 miles on it and then sat for however long in his yard.
I have been looking at oil pressure and temp gauges, but I do not want to drill out the dash. I am looking at ways to run them in different mounts and may have found a solution.
The last thing I want to do is switch over to a doghouse oil cooler. I think that would help this motor run cooler and last longer.

My current issue to bubble up is a knocking sound. I think it is an exhaust leak. I have ordered new exhaust and hope to put it on this weekend coming up. Hopefully that will cure the knocking sound, otherwise I will be looking at a new engine. Fingers crossed on this one...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:56 pm 
Der Luft Doktor

Keep us posted!
I think there's some under dash gauge panels available you can use.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:40 pm 

Brian, Ethan, everyone,

I have new gauges to put in to the car. Oil pressure and oil temp. I also have had a new engine bay seal put in as the old one was coming apart. I also taped up the heater ducts coming out of fan should so all the air goes to the cylinders.

I was going to cruise today to Huntsville, but my oil temp dipstick said my oil was 225-230 degrees. So I guess my question is what is too hot?

Around town, the car is fine. Cruise at 55-65 mph for more than 20 minutes, and the oil temp dipstick says 225-230. This is frustrating.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next